[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Tools-fbs.301.mcz

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at angband.za.org
Fri Mar 4 13:45:40 UTC 2011

On 2011/03/03 23:20, commits at source.squeak.org wrote:
> A new version of Tools was added to project The Inbox:
> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Tools-fbs.301.mcz

> Name: Tools-fbs.301
> Author: fbs
> Time: 3 March 2011, 11:20:00.889 pm
> UUID: 9f787d80-6eb1-0741-a5ac-57d3a80a3c7a
> Ancestors: Tools-fbs.300
>
> * Complete removal of systemCategoryListIndex, replaced by selectedSystemCategory.
> * selectedSystemCategoryListIndex/selectedSystemCategoryListIndex: remain, used by Morphic, and defer to selectedSystemCategory/selectedSystemCategory:.
> * selectedSystemCategoryName defers to selectedSystemCategory, and all its callers now call selectedSystemCategory.
> * PackagePaneBrowser>>hasSystemCategorySelected pulled up to Browser.
>
> =============== Diff against Tools-fbs.300 ===============

Inbox etiquette question: I'm working on a fairly big chunk of code,
ripping out Browser's indices. I could make 4 or 5 further commits of
about the same complexity as this commit to finish off the change.

I can see a couple of options:
1. Submit big chunks basing off Trunk, letting us lose the indices
piecemeal. Basically, branch-per-feature, and each commit's a completed
subfeature.
2. Submit one megachange, so that Tools-fbs.301 can be deleted.
3. Submit big chunks each based off the previous commit: a single branch
with serial commits.
4. Other situations?

I really don't like option 2: we're talking about rewriting large chunks
of a critical piece of infrastructure.

So what's the preferred way of submitting large features to the Inbox?

frank