[squeak-dev] [Ann] Cuis 3.1 is available

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Sat Mar 5 13:35:34 UTC 2011

On Sat, 5 Mar 2011, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> Levente Uzonyi wrote:
>> On Fri, 4 Mar 2011, Juan Vuletich wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> Cuis 3.1 is available at http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html . From
>>> the release notes:
>>>
>>> New in Cuis 3.1
>>> -------------------
>>>   * Super fast Morphic world display.
>>>         o     About ten times faster when many windows are open.
>>>         o     Makes the whole UI feel much more responsive.
>>>         o     Simpler code.
>>
>> Sounds cool. Does it affect the way things are drawn or is it "just" a
>> faster way to put the bits to the screen? Which changesets contain these
>> changes? Do these depend on other changes?
>>

>> Levente
>
> I redid the rectangle algebra. The idea is avoid drawing parts of morphs that
> are not visible. Change set is 0825. If you disregard the unrelated
> #drawStringXXX methods, it should not depend on anything else.

Thanks, this sounds great. It would be nice to make RFB more responsive.
It gets really slow when there are a few overlapping or large windows.

> But please, do download the system, play with it, and experiment with this
> (and anything else) inside the system. I want more users, even if occasional.
> And please do comment on your experience.

Okay, first experiments:
1. Dragging windows is a lot faster than with Squeak.
2. DNU when you open the World menu and press Alt+t (it opens a Transcript
in Squeak).
3. When I try to change the window size to 1920 at 1080 then Squeak VM
crashes on Windows (4.0.2).

The Smalltalk Stack:
58176356 Behavior>new:
58176236 Form>setExtent:depth:
58176096 Form class>extent:depth:
58176004 Form>magnify:to:smoothing:
58175912 Form>magnifyTo:
50340572 PasteUpMorph>buildMagnifiedBackgroundImage
50340408 PasteUpMorph>extent:
50340316 PasteUpMorph>restoreMorphicDisplay
42191724 DisplayScreen class>checkForNewScreenSize
42191632 WorldState>doOneCycleNowFor:
42191448 WorldState>doOneCycleFor:
42191356 PasteUpMorph>doOneCycle
37207620 ProjectX class>spawnNewProcessX
37207496 BlockClosure>newProcess

The extent is 9711241920 at 1061 for some reason. It doesn't crash with Cog,
so it might be a VM bug. It doesn't crash with Squeak images though.

Levente