[squeak-dev] Why does MessageSet subclass Browser?

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at angband.za.org
Sun Mar 6 21:53:46 UTC 2011

In removing Browser's use of indices in favour of using symbols to track
what a Browser's currently browsing, I found I couldn't add an instvar
called selectedClass. TimeProfileBrowser uses it.

TimeProfileBrowser subclasses MessageSet, which we use to model
senders-of and implementors-of. But why does MessageSet - a model to
view a collection of methods - subclass Browser, a model used to explore
Smalltalk code at large?

I'm thinking "historical accident, because it was cheap/expedient to
repurpose some chunks of Browser and simply ignore the rest", but I'm
curious if my guess is right or not.

frank