[squeak-dev] Why does MessageSet subclass Browser?

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 21:18:39 UTC 2011

Hi Frank, I don't know if I have a definitive answer to your question
other than; a MessageSet is a "Browser" of messages (err, methods),
and it probably inherits quite a bit of behavior there.

I'm glad you're doing this improvement on the browsers; I hope you are
going "all the way" and letting each of the lists be populated with
first-class objects, like MethodReferences instead of Strings.  I
know, in some cases where formatting or emphasis is required, that
won't be possible, but in most cases it should be.

This is now much easier because the list widgets now send
#asStringOrText to each rendered objects at low-levels (e.g.,
drawing), rather than assuming they are already Strings or Texts way
up in the domain level.

Thanks,
  Chris