[squeak-dev] Why does MessageSet subclass Browser?

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at angband.za.org
Mon Mar 7 22:48:21 UTC 2011

On 2011/03/07 21:18, Chris Muller wrote:
> Hi Frank, I don't know if I have a definitive answer to your question
> other than; a MessageSet is a "Browser" of messages (err, methods),
> and it probably inherits quite a bit of behavior there.

Yes, you get most of your stuff For Free. It's just that I'd expect, in
some sort've purist sense, to see the common behaviour between Browser
and MessageSet in a common superclass, making them siblings rather than
super/subclass. A MessageSet does less things than a Browser.

> I'm glad you're doing this improvement on the browsers; I hope you are
> going "all the way" and letting each of the lists be populated with
> first-class objects, like MethodReferences instead of Strings.  I
> know, in some cases where formatting or emphasis is required, that
> won't be possible, but in most cases it should be.
>
> This is now much easier because the list widgets now send
> #asStringOrText to each rendered objects at low-levels (e.g.,
> drawing), rather than assuming they are already Strings or Texts way
> up in the domain level.

Thanks for the encouragement, Chris!

Indeed, my basic strategy is to store the Symbol or String name of the
viewed thing rather than the index. So

| b |
b := Browser new.
b selectedSystemCategory: 'Tools-Browser'. "I want to change this to
#selectSystemCategory: - better reading, and more uniform with the
existing style, like #selectClass:"
b selectClass: b class.

The methods that ToolBuilder needs -
#systemCategoryListIndex/#systemCategoryListIndex: and similar pairs -
then wrap around the currently selected item, for instance like so:

     self selectSystemCategory: (self systemCategoryList at: anInteger
ifAbsent: [ nil ])

I think it's wiser to use strings/symbols rather than actual entities
because sometimes we don't have reified entities(system categories,
message categories). Also, Browser works entirely on lists of names at
the moment, rather than lists of objects (classes, methods) with names.

I've wiped out selectSystemCategoryListIndex, and am working on
classListIndex. That's a bit of a trickier case, because sometimes an
innocuous-looking change ends up breaking badly. The key to self-brain
surgery is writing tests as you work, and regular backups!

frank