[squeak-dev] Why does MessageSet subclass Browser?

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Mar 7 22:52:33 UTC 2011

On 2011-03-07 5:48 PM, Frank Shearar wrote:
> I think it's wiser to use strings/symbols rather than actual entities
> because sometimes we don't have reified entities(system categories,
> message categories).

I've previously tried to figure out whether it'd be possible to fake it
in this area, defining some classes SystemCategory, MessageCategory as
wrappers that know how to get at the information they need that is
stored elsewhere. I never managed to figure out a way of doing it
though. Would something like that be a worthwhile half-step on the way
toward having proper reified Categories and so on?

Tony