Traslator idea Re: [squeak-dev] SimpleMorphic

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Mar 8 13:29:04 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 08, 2011 at 06:34:20AM -0200, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> On 3/8/11 2:29 AM, "David T. Lewis" <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks Juan.
> >
> > I moved all of the SimpleMorphic updates I have done for Squeak to
> > a project on SqueakSource called "SimpleMorphic for Squeak". This
> > includes some updates since the versions I put into the inbox.
> >
> >   MCHttpRepository
> >       location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/SimpleMorphicSqueak'
> >       user: ''
> >       password: ''
> >
> > This should be just a temporary repository, but I guess it is better
> > to put it on SqueakSource than leave it sitting on my hard drive.
> >
> > I will remove the files that I put in the Squeak inbox, which are
> > now obsolete.
> >
> > Dave
> I wish be added to repo.

Hi Edgar,

I just added you to the repo.

> Like to know any you could share about steps for having SimpleMorphic  into
> Squeak.

Start with a fully updated trunk image (including the ToolBuilder changes
that I added yesterday). Then load the latest versions of packages
SimpleMorphic and SMx from the SimpleMorphicSqueak project on SqueakSource.

Then from the toolbar, Projects -> New Project -> new SMxMorphicProject

Notes:

Do not save your image while running SimpleMorphic, because restarting
a SMxMorphicProject does not work yet (so just return to previous
project before saving).

You may also need to load a couple of methods from a package in the
inbox, Morphic-dtl.523. Otherwise you may need to manually re-initialize
classes Editor and TextEditor after re-entering a normal Morphic
project.

The main things I have been working on are:

- SMxMorphicProject for hosting the SimpleMorphic environment. This is
currently a modified copy of MorphicProject. Of course, the original
Morphic likes to think that it is the "only" Morphic world, so getting
the two to work together was a bit tricky.

- Toolbuilder support for SimpleMorphic. This is not complete, but the
changes are all in the SMx package and there is enough to make many
of the tools work (but not yet the debugger!!!).

- The Editor hierarchy in Cuis has been updated in a very nice way
(event dispatch) but there are lots of changes compared with Squeak.
Menus are different also. Making SimpleMorphic loadable as a project
type makes it easy to compare the two. I renamed some of the event
handling methods (e.g. Editor>>backspace: becomes Editor>>backspaceEvent:
so the original Editor>>backspace: method remains in place for use
by Morphic and MVC).

> In particular, about building windows, as seems me the first thing to do.
> Once we have MonticelloBrowser, DependencyBrowser, DualChangeSorter and
> ArchiveViewer , could rip old Morphic and have the first Squeak of XXI
> century.
>
> This also give us a glimpse of how a Traslator package could be.
>
> I excited...and very grateful to you and to Juan.

Great! Thank you.

Happy Carnaval,

Dave