[squeak-dev] Simple Morphic Documentation

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Mar 15 00:09:42 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 12:06:40PM -0600, JASON HOGUE wrote:
> I've been watching and tinkering with Squeak for a few years now and have decided that now is the time to start transitioning from my typical Mac/Win environment and embrace Squeak/Pharo/Cuis as full time as possible.
>
> The key element for me was SimpleMorphic. Don't get me wrong, there are LOTS of projects that have convinced me that this is the right route for me; Cog, RoarVM, Spoon and other general simplifications. I am a complete novice where it comes to smalltalk and programming for that matter. Having a simplified Morphic really opens the door for me to begin to really explore Morphic and Squeak in general.
>
> My main question at this time is; is there any documentation specifically for SimpleMorphic? I have seen the included chapters in the "Squeak/Pharo by Example" books but given that SimpleMorphic "significantly" changes layouts, etc, I am a bit lost as to what remains relevant in the SbE book.
>
> Any insights would be greatly appreciated !

Hi Jason,

I cannot directly answer your question concerning documentation for SimpleMorphic,
but I would make two suggestions:

1) When using the "Squeak/Pharo by Example" books, use whichever image is
recommended by the book. That will allow you to follow along with the book
without being distracted by minor version incompatibilities.

2) If you are interested in SimpleMorphic, I suggest that you work directly
with a Cuis image. Use Cuis to learn about Morphic by exploring, and this
will in turn make it easier to understand the Morphic environment in Squeak.

I specifically do *not* recommend using SimpleMorphic in Squeak at this
point, because it is not yet stable, and because the real (simple) version
in Cuis itself.

Any available documentation for Cuis/SimpleMorphic is likely to be found
at <http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html>, although you should be aware
that the entire engineering effort is the product of a single talented person
who may not be in a position to write and publish a full set of user manuals ;)

Dave