[Vm-dev] Re: [squeak-dev] a tiny bit of lag on squeak.org for good reason

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Mar 18 01:21:53 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 02:01:15AM +0100, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 18 March 2011 01:52, Randal L. Schwartz <merlyn at stonehenge.com> wrote:
> >
> > You may notice squeak.org a bit sluggish over the next few hours.
> >
> > In the past board meeting, we all echoed and reechoed our concern that
> > squeak.org wasn't being backed up anywhere off box. ??At all. For a very
> > long time. ??Yes, isn't that crazy? ??All of squeak.org on a single
> > spindle.
> >
> > Finally, after much coaxing and promising of purchases of
> > fine single-malt scotch (just kidding about that last part, but I
> > wouldn't refuse it if offered), I volunteered some spare disk space and
> > bandwidth on the company server (red.stonehenge.com) to begin a series
> > of steps to modernize our platform.
> >
> > Step 1 is happening now. ??I'm cloning the image and changes and
> > datafiles that drive squeak.org. ??I'll then set up a cron job to make
> > sure that is refreshed daily, perhaps even hourly.
> >
> > Step 2 will happen WITH THE HELP OF SOMEONE FROM THE VM TEAM (nudge
> > nudge). ??I need to build a VM that runs on FreeBSD. ??If I can do that, I
> > can fire up a "hot spare" site that works like squeak.org although
> > you'll have to get to it with a weird URL. ??My last attempt to do that
> > failed, and I'm not sure why, except I blamed it on a linux-ism. ??So if
> > someone FROM THE VM TEAM will please give me precise build instructions
> > for FreeBSD, I'll be happy to give it a try again.
> >

> I'd be happy to help and make a build StackVM/Cog configs for FreeBSD.
> I love this platform , it was my first unix platform i working with.

Outstanding, thanks Igor!

Randal, my offer to help stands also, but Igor has FreeBSD experience
and also can provide a much faster Cog VM, so I would encourage you to
take advantage of his offer. You also can accept help from both of us,
in which case you will probably end up with more VMs than you know what
to do with :)

Dave