[Vm-dev] Re: [squeak-dev] a tiny bit of lag on squeak.org for good reason

radoslav hodnicak rh at 4096.sk
Fri Mar 18 15:22:08 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 10:07 AM, Randal L. Schwartz
<merlyn at stonehenge.com> wrote:

> radoslav> I'd argue for renting another machine from them instead of a
> radoslav> VPS - why pay more for less? The current Hetzner servers (EQ
> radoslav> line) start at quadcore cpu/8gigs of RAM for 49
> radoslav> euro/month. How much would you pay to get that virtualized?
> radoslav> Especially the memory tends to be a problem with smalltalks
> radoslav> and VPSs.
>
> Take a look at the prices at arpnetworks.com/vps.  I'm also able to
> negotiate some discount over that in exchange for publicity.  And I'd
> rather have a VPS than a hard machine... if one machine goes down, it's
> up to me to migrate, and immediately.  If a VPS host goes down, the
> hoster has an obligation to launch my VPS on another box.  Just one more
> way to keep a good SLA.

I'm looking at the prices. I'd imagine squeak.org needs a machine that
has at least 2gigs of ram to run the various squeak images, which is
60 bucks at ARP.

60 bucks at ARP gets you
2gigs RAM
60gigs disk space
600gigs traffic

~65 bucks at Hetzner gets you
8gigs RAM
750gigs disk space
5000gigs traffic

I'm not against a virtual machine per se, but those ARP prices don't
look appealing to me. And let me repeat that services written in
squeak tend to be memory hungry.

>> Also, doesn't the current machine have disks in raid0? That's the
>
> Raid0 only gives faster read and write performance. It decreases the
> reliability of the system.

Er yeah, I meant mirror. I always get the numbers mixed up

rado