[squeak-dev] Re: [Vm-dev] VM Maker: VMMaker-oscog.52.mcz

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 19:33:16 UTC 2011

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 11:26:20AM -0700, Eliot Miranda wrote:
> Except that its my branch and I've been using oscog from the start.  Igor
> had no need to use the same name line as me.  I don't want to change now.
>  oscog refers to my branch of VMMaker for "open source Cog".

It's not really open source if nobody else can contribute to
that branch. Squeaksource apparently allows versions to be
overwritten. I didn't know that either. Maybe that's part of the
reason the naming convention has been adopted:
Package-author.version

The best supported convention for maintaining a branch is to use
a different repository. MC is distributed, so packages can be
merged between repositories no problem.

So http://squeaksource.com/VMMaker/VMMaker-IgorStasenko.53.mcz
would be a trunk commit, and
http://squeaksource.com/OSCog/VMMaker-IgorStasenko.54.mcz would
be a cog commit.

Changing the package name is not really supported; Most MC
implementations can't merge between packages (MC1.5 could, but I
havn't ported that to any MC that's actually in use)

I like seperate repositories better anyway; then you can know if
there is a newer version of your branch available just by seeing
if VMMaker package is bold in the repo browser; if they are in
the same repository, you have to pay attention to the commits

--
Matthew Fulmer (a.k.a. Tapple)