[squeak-dev] unable to get past update 178 to get to a current image

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Mar 23 00:44:51 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 05:01:02PM -0700, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> I had a pre-4.2 trunk that I thought it would be a good time to update.
> It failed when I got to update 178.
>
> First, I got asked for initials.  Never a good sign on an update stream.
> Then, I get stuck at a pop-up for "Merging Monticello-cmm.440".  No idea
> what to do with that.
>
> So I figured I'd just download a new image that was post 4.2, just in
> case.  The only ones I know about are at http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/.
> The -10779 image there fails ** at exactly the same place **.
>
> Help.  How do I get a current image?  And why is this broken?

There was a catch-22 problem in the update stream associated with some
updates to Montecello. See this thread:
  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2011-March/158194.html

I think the workaround is just to reject the merges and carry on.
Chris made a valiant and no doubt endlessly frustrating attempt to
chop the head off the Lernaean Hydra, but I'm afraid the manual
reject-merge is still required.

Dave