[squeak-dev] CMU cancels freshman OOP classes...

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Mar 26 14:23:38 UTC 2011

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 05:43:44AM -0700, Lawson English wrote:
> http://developers.slashdot.org/story/11/03/26/0016229/CMU-Eliminates-Object-Oriented-Programming-For-Freshman
>
> Lawson

Interesting. On the face of it, this would appear to be a case of
the Robert McNamara syndrome: Really Intelligent People Doing Really
Dumb Things. I can only guess that whatever CMU was teaching as
"freshman O-O curriculum" might not resemble anything that folks on
this list would recognise as object-oriented.

But I have no computer science background and it's been quite a
while since I've attended any university classes, so I really have
no idea what is being taught.

Dave