[squeak-dev] I'm running

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 12:18:03 UTC 2011

If it's not too late, I'd like to run for the board.

It's a pity Andreas is not standing again. With him you always felt
Squeak had a bright future. He's inspiring.

My platform is:

modularity: I'd like to see a small, bootable image. Eliot said some
great things about his exploration of MicroSqueak. I think that may be
the way to go.

greater amity with Pharo and VPRI: I don't advocate adopting their code
willy-nilly. But I think we should all be aware of what Cola, Worlds,
OMeta, PetitParser, Opal, and Ocean are. The more aware we are of other
people's work, then the more informed we can be about what kind of
Squeak to make.

A few things about me. In the past 18 months I've put seven hours of
movies on YouTube. I went to the Deep Into Smalltalk school two weeks
ago in Lille. I'll be going to ESUG in August.

my stake: I'm building a simple page maker called GreenNeon, which is a
Seaside 2.6 canvas with an HttpView2 core. It's four class categories.
With WebClient/WebServer (as a fifth) you have all you need to make web
pages. I'm rewriting SMServer in GreenNeon, as an exercise to assure
myself GreenNeon does all I need. I'll be doing something business-y in
2012 with GreenNeon. I figure a host where people used Monticello to
deploy web pages would be cool. The code is uploaded to the repo and
automatically loaded into the image. So, you'd press Save, press refresh
on your browser, and then see  you're site online.

documentation: I'm all about this. I'll be making more movies, but maybe
not on YouTube. And I figure I'll be reaching out to the C++/ Java world
with a tag line like:

Want to be a better C++/Java programmer?
Build a webiste in Smalltalk.
smalltalktelevision.com

That kind of thing.

So that's what I'm about. I'd like to be on the board. I'd benefit
hugely from it. And, if I may say, I think I can curb the slight
insularity of our community just by sitting in on the meetings. A lack
of technical expertise is not our problem, I'd say.

Oh, one more thing. A few years ago I'd have said Seaside was the future
of Smalltalk. I don't believe that anymore: the future of Smalltalk is
Smalltalk.

Thanks for your time,

Chris