[squeak-dev] Ometa vs XTreams PEG as Squeak core (was Re: Ometa)

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Wed Mar 30 18:26:46 UTC 2011

>>>>> "Nikolay" == Nikolay Suslov <nsuslovi at gmail.com> writes:

Nikolay> First, making OMeta as the default preloaded package in
Nikolay> Squeak. Then, review, redefine the parts in Squeak where patten
Nikolay> matching and parsing is needed, reimplementing them using
Nikolay> OMeta. Adopting existed programmer's tools for easily using of
Nikolay> OMeta language, while working with source code (transcription,
Nikolay> annotation, localisation, etc). Exploring, how "Undo" operation
Nikolay> could be implemented in current Squeak using Worlds. And more..

While I'm very impressed with OMeta across multiple platforms, I think
putting it directly into Squeak as an always-handy parser might be a bit
premature.

I'd like a fair comparison with the PEG stuff of XTreams before I would
put my weight behind either proposal.  I say that because I'm inclined
to move Squeak towards Xtreams first, and if a PEG parser comes along
for free with that, we're already further than we've been in the past.
And the PEG Parser of XTreams doesn't require extraordinary browser
support, as OMeta does.