[squeak-dev] Ometa vs XTreams PEG, PetitParser, Helvetia

Nikolay Suslov nsuslovi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 12:25:29 UTC 2011

Hannes,

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 2:26 PM, Hannes Hirzel <hannes.hirzel at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 3/30/11, Nikolay Suslov <nsuslovi at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >From conceptual and practical point of view,
> > OMeta - is not yet another "system tool" written for Squeak or another
> fork,
> > in contrary to XTreams (a generalized stream/iterator framework written
> in
> > Smalltalk) burned in Pharo.

Oh! That's Gmail's check spelling fault, sorry.
I meant: XTreams was borned in Pharo (not burned :)

XTreams is primarily a generalized stream/iterator framework.  It
> contains PEG parser generation facilities, which I assume might use
> XTreams. If not the PEG parser stuff could be separated.

Nikolay, what you write is interesting but too terse for me to
> understand. If I understand you right you mean that OMeta goes beyond
> the PEG parser in XTreams and PetitParser (L. Renggli) and Helvetia (L
> Renggli).
>
> In which ways does OMeta go beyond these other tools?

Again, I just could repeat, OMeta is not yet another tool, like PEG parser
stuff, that could be founded in XTreams, Helvetica or PetitParser and
others. It is a language, furthermore it is an object-oriented language for
pattern matching. And it is based just on a variant of PEGs, which have been
extended to handle arbitrary data types.
Thinking, that I couldn't say better then it is written on the author's site
and his paper (http://www.tinlizzie.org/~awarth/papers/dls07.pdf), how OMeta
goes beyond.

Regards,
Nikolay