[squeak-dev] Board candidacy

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Thu Mar 31 19:43:52 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I'd like to throw my hat in the ring too, so please consider me a
candidate in this year's SOB election.

For those that don't know me, I'm a long-time member of the Squeak
community. I started Squeaking in
2002 and have been active on squeak-dev and other fora ever since.
There's probably not a lot of code with
my initials in it in the base image, but I've contributed several
external packages. I was one of the original
developers of Monticello and OmniBrowser, and a long-time user of Seaside.

I've used Squeak in several commercial settings, and just recently
I've started a company to build web
applications in Squeak. That limits my time somewhat, but also gives
me incentive to help Squeak grow
prosper a as a platform and community. ;-)

There two things I'd like to see in the near future: one is continued
progress on modularity. This is hard work,
but very important. Having a small base image plus a large ecosystem
of loadable packages gives us the
flexibility to support all the different use-cases that people have
for Squeak with a single code base and
community. I think it's the *lack* of that flexibility that's led to
the fragmentation of the Squeak community
across all the different forks that have been created - Croquet,
Etoys, Pharo, Scratch and so on.

Second, I'd like to see us participate more in the larger community of
open-source languages and applications
we should be talking about what we've accomplished in non-Smalltalk
venues, playing nicely with Linux
distributions, battling it out with popular web frameworks, and
generally doing cool stuff in public. Last year's
and previous oversight boards have made a lot of progress here and I'd
like to see it continue.

My thanks to everybody who's served on the SOB, particularly those who
are running again this year.

Colin