[squeak-dev] Squeak Oversight Board election self nomination

Gary Dunn garydunnhi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 20:19:13 UTC 2011

I saw a request for more victims -- err, volunteers -- so I'll toss my
hat into the ring. What I lack in Squeak proficiency I more than make
up for in age and experience.

Here is my bio, just a few improvements over the last one.

My name is Gary Dunn. I am 61, married with two sons, and live in
Honolulu. I have a very demanding full time IT job. My formal training
is in music, including a Masters in Composition from the University of
Illinois. I enjoy cycling and fixing old cars. I am the leader of a
still struggling project called Open Slate, about improving the use of
computers in education. More about me at:

http://www.facebook.com/garydunn808
http://e9erust.blogspot.com
Twitter @garydunn808
http://openslate.org
Twitter @openslateproj

Many years ago I used a Windows version of Smalltalk at work. My best
effort was a GUI front-end to our Unix mail system which we used until
we were forced to implement Exchange. I added word wrap to the
supplied text editor class. It had a personal address book, forward
and reply, and even supported attachments by way of an implementation
of uuencode I wrote in Smalltalk. Those were the days!

My reason for running for the board is to advocate for the role of
Squeak in education. In this regard I am deeply inspired by Alan Kay.
I am a big fan of Etoys, but my main interest is in high school and
college aged students and in using Squeak as a unified platform for
educational software, to include classroom activities, course content
delivery, team collaboration, grades management, ... everything
related to so-called E-Learning 2.0. (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-learning).

Where the trend in E-Learning has been towards a web-based design, my
preference is for each student to collect and retain locally the
information they need, so that they do not rely on continuous Internet
access. I do not see E-Learning as a way to teach students to use
popular office automation software. I do embrace the concept of social
constructionism (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_constructionism_(learning_theory))
and have long pitched the value of small, individually owned,
self-made slate computers as tools to foster communication between
students. Many of my concepts that were unfamiliar ten years ago are
becoming commonplace. Some, like open-source textbooks, have
encountered unanticipated resistance. In the long view, I see the
future of educational software in Open Cobalt ... take the interaction
in WoW and recreate it in a learning context. Powerful stuff.

--
Gary Dunn
Honolulu