[squeak-dev] OpenQwaq is open!

Josh Gargus josh at schwa.ca
Tue May 3 18:06:19 UTC 2011

Yay Teleplace!!  It's great to see this code in the open!

And boo to everyone who complains about the license without first saying "Yay Teleplace!!".  Personally, I would also prefer the MIT license to the GPL.  However, the whining and the sense of entitlement is a bit much.  Teleplace owes you nothing, and Teleplace's investors owe you even less.

Full disclosure: I was a Qwaq/Teleplace employee for nearly 4 years, up until 6 months ago.  OpenQwaq happened after my time, and I have no more insight into the process than anyone else in the public.  Any apparent insight into the situation is based on speculation, not fact.

Teleplace wrote Cog, and much complaining was heard when it wasn't released instantly (although it eventually was, as promised).  Now they release their *whole codebase*, but not under the license that you want.  Boo-hoo.

News flash: investors are in control, and they're only in it for the money.  I'm thankful that people inside Teleplace worked hard to convince the investors to release the code.  It's a bit pathetic to lambast them because they couldn't convince them to release it under the MIT license instead of GPL.

Cheers,
Josh