What is Configuration? (was: Re: [Pharo-project] [squeak-dev] Personalized systems with Treated)

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Fri May 6 16:11:59 UTC 2011

I agree with everything in that post. At bottom, I think, it's saying
that Metacello should be an option close at hand.

I always have a mental ratio of complexity:results in my head with any
coding enterprise. Metacello, to my thinking, is like Seaside. Both are
incredible for certain scenarios. Both are super powerful. But if you
want to anything more modest than their implied full power, then you are
managing a lot of complexity for nothing.

Seaside for regular websites? What on Earth for? In fact if you want a
website, then that's what you should make. And then bring in the
Smalltalk, when things get dynamic. (That's easy if you stay RESTful.)

I'm sure Metacello has its place, but I'd like it as an option. The
beauty of SqueakMap is how much it can accomplish in a simple way that
almost anybody can understand and then hack themselves. Perhaps two
people understand how Metacello works in its entirety.

Chris