[squeak-dev] Resolution of Contentious Issues

K. K. Subramaniam kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Mon May 9 15:38:08 UTC 2011

On Monday 09 May 2011 3:37:23 AM Casey Ransberger wrote:
> To be clear: I just want to be able to rank the popularity of people's
> solutions to various problems... not compel anyone to action. When there's
> two problems a) contention, and b) no workable implementation, it would be
> nice to get some of the contention out of the way so that I can quit
> arguing on a mailing list and #doIt.
I would favor a system where the "owner" or "maintainer" of a feature or bug
gets to make the final decision on a particular solution using whichever method
he/she thinks is appropriate. The owner could use a Coin Flip, Voting, Delta,
Six Hats or any other decision process to arrive at the solution.

No decision making techique is perfect. What matters is that the issue needs
to be closed and we move forward. We will only know if decision is good or bad
by hindsight. That is a risk that we have to take.

(I hope this doesn't become yet another looooooong dangling thread ;-)).

Subbu