[squeak-dev] Resolution of Contentious Issues

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Mon May 9 22:32:59 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Nicolas Cellier <

> If you have a wonderful simplification, you can also try selling it to
> Juan and have it adopted in Cuis.

Heh, you know we actually had a nice exchange about that. The conclusion we
landed on was "Cuis needs namespaces like a fish needs a bicycle." :) Since
Cuis is about starting with Smalltalk-80, a system designed to be mastered
by a single individual, and gradually deriving its essence, it's unclear
that the advantages namespaces offer either justify the cognitive load
involved in learning/using them, or the work involved in implementing them,
within the context of the goals which drive Cuis.

Really namespaces are a solution to a social problem in my world: a feature
many engineering managers will want to see in a technology before they will
be convinced to approve the use of it. Yes of course, namespaces are also
technically very nice, but you don't really get much value out of them for
anything but selling the manager unless you're working on a large code base
or with a large team (or both.)

That said! As Cuis gets smaller, it gets easier to approach working
prototypes for things that require a lot of support throughout the kernel,
because there's just less code surface there to have to modify in order to
realize one's ideas, which makes Cuis is a fantastic platform on which to
explore and experiment with stuff like this, and namespaces is something I'd
definitely like to try there :) In fact, I do mean to load Environments up
as soon as I get OmniBrowser working in Cuis.

...But back to Squeak. With the license clean, a fast VM, active/visible
development, and the core of Squeak looking better and better all the time,
this is really one of the last boxes that I have to check before I can start
winning the argument that says, "you should think about using Squeak at
_your_ company." This is exciting to me!

Nicolas

--
Casey Ransberger