[squeak-dev] Some question regarding portability

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Tue May 10 09:48:50 UTC 2011

On Tue, 10 May 2011, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I would like to improve the portability of Zinc HTTP Components ( http://zn.stfx.eu ) to Squeak. During the development of Zn I have regulary tested on Squeak (currently 4.2 #10977), and most of the code works unmodified. Recently, I had another look, and I would like to fix some issues, if possible.
>
> - Are announcements available ? Can this framework be loaded ? What is the official way to do this ?

There are at least four different implementations of the announcements
framework. They are not (fully) compatible with each other. The question
is: which one is required by Zinc?

> - How does one do MD5 hashing in Squeak ? We used to fall back to either CMD5Hasher or TCryptoRandom, but none are in the standard image. What has to be loaded to make this work (again) ?

The MD5 class is in the Cryptography package.

> - Has there ever been a MIMEType class ? This is not crucial at all, I am just wondering why it is not there.

I don't think so.

> - I guess that ByteTextConverter class>>#encodeTable and ByteTextConverter class>>#decodeTable play the same role as ByteTextConverter class>>#unicodeToByteTable and ByteTextConverter class>>#byteToUnicodeTable ?

It's hard to answer your question without knowing what ByteTextConverter
class >> #unicodeToBytTable and ByteTextConverter class >>
#byteToUnicodeTable are.

Levente