[squeak-dev] Re: Some question regarding portability

Henrik Sperre Johansen henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no
Tue May 10 13:13:57 UTC 2011

Teleplacer wrote:

> On 5/10/2011 12:21, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

>>> There are at least four different implementations of the announcements
>>> framework. They are not (fully) compatible with each other. The question
>>> is: which one is required by Zinc?
>>
>> I am not aware of that many versions.
>> I subclass Announcement, instanciate an Announcer, send #announce: and
>> #on:send:do to it, that's all.
>
> Then how about adding ZnAnnouncement, ZnAnnouncer with the two or three
> methods that you actually need? Announcements always struck me as more
> of a pattern than a framework.
>
> Cheers,
>    - Andreas

They really are not, though on the surface they look deceptively simple.

The amount of nuances and quirks in implementing subscribing/unsubscribing,
weak versions, delivery guarantees etc. are large enough that you really
only want to implement/document/learn them once.

My 2c at least :)

Cheers,
Henry