[squeak-dev] Ometa vs XTreams PEG, PetitParser, Helvetia

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at angband.za.org
Wed May 11 19:45:12 UTC 2011

On 2011/04/01 11:17, Hannes Hirzel wrote:
> At this very moment I think we just need to make sure we can load
> OMeta and XTreams into the release 4.2 and the ongoing development
> trunk version so that people can compare and get a better idea.

> 1)
> Randal, in January I loaded XTreams into the current version at that
> time. You recently did as well a trial load, what is the script to
> load it?

Installer ss
     project: 'MetacelloRepository';
     install: 'ConfigurationOfXtreams'.
ConfigurationOfXtreams project bleedingEdge load

> 2)
> Regarding OMeta, I did a load I think last October --- what do I need
> to do as of now to load it?

Hans-Martin Mosner's done all the hard work, making a Monticello
Configuration: http://www.squeaksource.com/OMeta/OMeta2.mcm

It loads cleanly into Squeak trunk.

> 3)
> Does somebody more closely follow the development of PetitParser and
> Helvetia on the Pharo side and could give a short report on what is
> happening there? (Or just some pointers to helpful Pharo list mails)

I'm trying to install Helvetia (well, LanguageBoxes, specifically) at
the moment. It has massive dependencies: OmniBrowser, ECompletion,
Polymorph, ... that I'm slowly wading through. (What's frustrating is I
don't care about the UI integration (and I don't see why Helvetia's
_core_ should plug into _any_ UI))

> --Hannes

>> Casey>  OMeta is ridiculously cool. You can do source to source
>> Casey>  translation in some cases, for example, without a pretty printer
>> Casey>  by running your grammar transformations through backward. I'm not
>> Casey>  aware of any other system that let's you do that.
>>
>> Except maybe XTreams PEG. :)

To be fair, you do need to be careful with your rules if you want to run
them backwards. Kaehler & Warth give an example (which I know you
already know about, Casey) at
http://www.viewpointsresearch.org/pdf/m2008001_parseback.pdf

>> --
>> Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777 0095
>> <merlyn at stonehenge.com>  <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
>> Smalltalk/Perl/Unix consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.
>> See http://methodsandmessages.posterous.com/ for Smalltalk discussion

frank