[squeak-dev] Max source method length? Max string length? Max change set size?

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at ccs.neu.edu
Wed May 18 02:58:10 UTC 2011

On 2011-05-17 10:54 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> hmm.. can you provide some example?

Module initialisation code is the case I've run into, where many
"constant" objects (including symbols, functions, classes etc.) are
computed, initialised and placed into a dictionary/namespace. A compiler
from Scheme to .NET CLR I worked on a while ago frequently generated
module initialisation methods with more than 64k of *bytecode*, which
worked (a) slowly on one implementation (b) reasonably on another and
(c) not at all on a third, causing it to dump core.

(Another way of saying the same thing: The only three reasonable numbers
are zero, one and infinity.)

Tony