[squeak-dev] Fwd: [Pharo-project] usability of Pharo and Squeak

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue May 31 09:34:14 UTC 2011

On 31 May 2011 11:29, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:
> On Tue, 31 May 2011, Frank Shearar wrote:
>
>> Indeed, I'm starting to think that tiling window managers are the only
>> actual window managers (as in, if you have to move your windows
>> around, _you're_ the window manager). A colleague pointed out, when I
>> questioned his rabid love of tiling, that I've constructed my workflow
>> in such a way as to turn my non-tiling WM into one, effectively.
>>
>> Maybe there's a way of easily leveraging Laurent Laffont's new TVM? -
>> http://magaloma.blogspot.com/2011/05/tiling-window-manager.html
>
> It's not a window manager at all, just a button, that tries to lay out
> windows as equally sized tiles when you press it. While it's a good start,
> it's far from a real tiling window manager IMHO.

window manager can't prevents windows from clutter.
the real solution is to change the workflow to not open that many windows.

IMO in design desicions, we should always be based on a human capabilities:
 how quickly human can find a concrete window on desktop, when there
are 20 of them open?
 how quickly  he can find a needed window using taskbar, if there are
20 labels in takbar?

is there a ways to ogranize workflow to reduce clutter (a more
context-oriented workflow),
so user can navigate to required point faster?

Because what was looked cool 15 years ago.. today is not so cool.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.