[squeak-dev] Fwd: [Pharo-project] usability of Pharo and Squeak

Ramon Leon ramon.leon at allresnet.com
Tue May 31 16:35:47 UTC 2011

On 05/31/2011 09:09 AM, radoslav hodnicak wrote:
> Personally I'm pretty comfortable and productive with the current
> setup and the myriad of windows I can open.

I am too, but in spite of all those windows, not because of it.
Stockholm syndrome, you've probably just gotten accustomed to it.

> quickly. Tabs would introduce a new constraint of the same level we
> already have in Squeak

Tabs would make it more like practically every other program available
that needs multiple edit windows.  Tabs are better than multiple
windows.  Look around, tabs won; the battle is over.  Tabbed browsing of
the net or 15 instances of Firefox open?  Seriously, you think multiple
windows are better?  Really?

> full screen mode). Compare the informational value of a window color +
> window title + window position (old code left top browser, new code
> right bottom browser etc)

Meaningless when I have 15 windows open.  Position means nothing, color
means nothing.

>with the 5 characters of text you usually
> get to see on a tab title once you open enough of them. I routinely
> work with tabbed text editors for non-smalltalk stuff and once you get
> past 5-10 open tabs, it's rather awful.

It's vastly better than 15 open windows.

> I can see how people coming from java or something might prefer tabs,

I'm a pretty solid Smalltalker, my preference for tabs has nothing to do
with coming from Java or not being familiar with Smalltalk.

> at the same time there much worse GUI problems we should fix first -

False dichotomy.  You don't ignore one problem because you think others
also exist.  All problems are valid, no need to shift the conversation
to other issues, this one is about tabs.

--
Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com