[squeak-dev] Fwd: [Pharo-project] usability of Pharo and Squeak

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at ccs.neu.edu
Tue May 31 17:34:26 UTC 2011

On 2011-05-31 5:34 AM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> is there a ways to ogranize workflow to reduce clutter (a more
> context-oriented workflow),
> so user can navigate to required point faster?

Emacs's separation of (nameless) windows from (named) buffers. This is
similar to the "multi-window browsers" setup Frank mentioned, and I
guess to tabs as well (especially where tabs can be dragged from window
to window).

Emacs does particularly well here because of its rapid keyboard-based
way of choosing the buffer to display in a given window, with completion
and so forth. Squeak already has most of what's required here, with its
pop-up menus: a pop-up could list the named buffers, and the usual
type-keys-to-narrow-the-options would work well to rapidly select the
item of interest. The pop-up would be available both via keyboard
shortcut and via some on-screen widget. You'd also need to build an
Emacs-style buffer-management buffer, for quick mass manipulation (e.g.
closing) of buffers.

> Because what was looked cool 15 years ago.. today is not so cool.

Ironically, in mentioning emacs, I suppose I'm suggesting that what
worked well *25* years ago might work well today also :-)

Tony