[squeak-dev] smalltalk evolution

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue May 31 19:01:24 UTC 2011

2011/5/31 Kamil Tomsik <info at tomsik.cz>:
> It's not anti-smalltalk post,
> it's just a list of smells. (not big ones)

ehm.. you saying:
1. different message types with different precedence -> distraction,
parentheses

now, just for comparison, count the number of precedence rules in
another procedural languages.
in smalltalk there are only 4: unary, binary, keywords, cascade.

I can imagine that we can easily get rid of binary messages.. and
replace them with keywords, so
instead of writing:
a + b.
one must write:
a add: b.

but that will lead to much larger number of parens everywhere.
Keyword syntax should stay. It is most superior form of expression
known by myself, because if message selector is picked carefully,
then it tells, what arguments are expected for each keyword, unlike to
C where function could have 5-10 arguments
and you have to refer to its source code in order to write down the
correct arguments to make a function call.

> Smalltalk is great language.

What makes a smalltalk great is not just language, but also
environment. If you look at it purely from syntax point of view, then
i'm
afraid, you don't see a whole image.
Because without dev tools, it will be not much better than PHP, Ruby
or Javascript, where you on your own with source code, and have to
manually navigate through code.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.