[squeak-dev] Re: Course-grained multiprocessing with RemoteTask

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Nov 16 12:47:24 UTC 2011

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 10:21:30AM -0500, David T. Lewis wrote:
> RemoteTask provides partitioning of processing tasks at the level of
> cooperating OS processes. For problems that can be partitioned into
> independent tasks running under the supervision of a Squeak image, such
> that each task performs a significant amount of processing and returns
> a moderately sized result, RemoteTask can provide substantial improvements
> in processing run time versus the equivalent serial processing when
> running on multi-core hardware.

Some follow up notes on RemoteTask:

- I collected some documentation and put it on the swiki at
    <http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6176>

- Some objects cannot be serialized on a reference stream and therefore
  cannot be used in the result of a remote task. I added a Mantis report
  to document the issue
    <http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7679>

- The RemoteTask examples fail on Pharo images, but this is due to
  and unrelated bug in Pharo
    <http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=4997>

Dave