[squeak-dev] [ANN] First try: Fuel for Squeak

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 20:06:17 UTC 2011

Hi guys. After a couple of efforts from Martin Dias and I, we have a
"working" Fuel serializer for Squeak. I used the quotes because all I could
do is to run tests.
Fuel is a binary serializer and you can find all the information in
http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/web/pier/software/Fuel
This is a project sponsored by ESUG SummerTalk and mainly developed by
Martin Dias.

I only tried in a Squeak 4.2 image. To install it:

(Installer monticello http: 'http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss')
project: 'Fuel';
install: 'ConfigurationOfFuel'.

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfFuel) project version: '1.8-baseline') load.

Most tests are green. There are only 2 categories of tests failing:
1) those under the category 'FuelTests-InternalMetalevel'. This is because
Squeak has removed the traits there are in Pharo and hence most tests
fails. However, this stuff of "InternalMetalevel" is only used if you want
to serialize classes/traits completely. Most of the cases, the user just
wants to serialize a class/trait as global (just serialize its name) and
then during materialization it just searches the class. Of course, in the
image where you materialize, such classes have to be present.

2) some tests that are long and it seems in squeak there is a timeout that
make those tests to fail.

As always, we appreciate any feedback.

Cheers

--