[squeak-dev] [ANN] First try: Fuel for Squeak

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Nov 27 18:25:56 UTC 2011

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 05:06:17PM -0300, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
> Hi guys. After a couple of efforts from Martin Dias and I, we have a
> "working" Fuel serializer for Squeak. I used the quotes because all I could
> do is to run tests.
> Fuel is a binary serializer and you can find all the information in
> http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/web/pier/software/Fuel
> This is a project sponsored by ESUG SummerTalk and mainly developed by
> Martin Dias.

Fuel seems to work fine in Squeak (despite some issues in the tests), so
I updated RemoteTask <http://wiki.squeak.org:8080/squeak/6176> to use Fuel
rather than ReferenceStream for returning the results of a remote task to
the supervisor image. If Fuel is not present in the image, ReferenceStream
will be used by default. This update is included in the latest CommandShell
on SqueakSource.

Fuel provides provides a noticable performance improvement when returning
a large result data set, and also avoids a problem in serializing large
integers <http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7679> .

Pharo users should beware of this bug when running the RemoteTask examples
<https://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=4997>, because the
examples perform prime number searches in the remote tasks.

Dave