[squeak-dev] Balloon3D: not loading in trunk

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 13:00:32 UTC 2011

"I got a failure on VRML component as in attached log and got stuck...
Any ideas about how to proceed?"

Yes, you should abandon using anything that requires VRML. That technology is dead. That project on SqueakSource is dated from 2004.
Andreas Raab has moved on from anything related to VRML, and I imagine you might benefit from doing the same. What is he using in
it's place now? Probably OpenGL or something.

I was looking at Carbon to learn about VMs. I went to ESUG, met the VM maintainers, and I got the message that I should move on to
Objective C, because that's where they were going. So that's what I'm doing.

I'm involved in helping to bring out the next image. The idea that the new image has to be able to load in any code from anywhere in
Squeak's past just depresses me. As a team and a community we only have so many resources and they need to be spent wisely on things
like making the image smaller with each iteration.

I think expectations about such things need to be managed. At some point we've just got to say that that's the past. If you want to use
old code then you need to stick with old images. If 4.3 doesn't accommodate VRML, I don't see how you can expect it to. The prospect
exhausts me even before I've started working on the 4.3 release.

Please find out what Andreas Raab moved onto and use that.

Chris Cunnington
SOB member

"Most people have learned to do a similar sort of filtering on new things they hear about. They don't even start paying attention until they've heard about something ten times. They're perfectly justified: the majority of hot new whatevers do turn out to be a waste of time, and eventually go away. By delaying learning VRML, I avoided having to learn it at all."

Paul Graham, "Hackers&  Painters",  2001