[squeak-dev] Spreadsheet morph

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Tue Oct 11 10:15:40 UTC 2011

2011/10/11 Stéphane Rollandin <lecteur at zogotounga.net>:
>> I am _really_ interested in a SpreadsheetMorph.  Just a grid of
>> objects.  Drag and drop.  "Formulas" would just be Smalltalk
>> expression strings sent to the SpreadsheetMorph itself, which can
>> reference any of its cells, of course:
>>
>>     (self cellAt: 1 at 2) + (self cellAt: 1 at 3)
>>
>> would send the #+ message to whatever objects had been dragged into
>> those referenced cells.
>
> This is almost trivial: use a PasteUpMorph with grid layout, plus a method
> telling which submorph is located at a specific coordinate, and you have it.
> The drag and drop stuff can be implemented by populating the spreadsheet
> with initial empty cell which, upon a drop event, becomeForward: the dropped
> morph (possibly resizing it); I have done this in muO's musical graph
> system.

It might be almost trivial for you, but it is not close to trivial for
most Squeak programmers, because otherwise this topic would not have
gone on as long as it has.   Perhaps the solution does not require new
code; it might be better documentation, or some worked out examples.
But lots of people apparently think that it is hard to make a
spreadsheet interface for Squeak, and that is a problem that needs to
be fixed.

-Ralph