[squeak-dev] Re: Migrating Complex in a separate package

Ricardo Moran richi.moran at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 13:00:16 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 9:51 AM, Juan Vuletich <juan at jvuletich.org> wrote:

> Juan Vuletich wrote:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> Rodney Polkinghorne wrote:

>>> extra fact:
>>> - Complex is absent from Cuis
>>>

>> Not for long :) . I have already integrated it and will be in next Cuis
>> release. I think Complex belongs in the base system.
>>

> Oh, forgot to say. I also think that
>   -1 sqrt = 1i
> should be true, and I'm working on it (together with some other tweaks to
> #sqrt and friends I'll publish when finished).

+1. I was just about to comment on that one :)

It always bothered me that "-1 sqrt" wouldn't answer "1i". It seems like an
incomplete implementation, being that we have the class Complex.
At the time I "fixed" it by just relying on the fact that the sqrt primitive
fails when the receiver is negative, but that solution seems very hackish. I
wonder what your solution looks like? :)

Cheers,
Richo