[squeak-dev] Saving Package to Monticello HTTP repository on Linux crashes Squeak, Squeak 4.2 image

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Sep 5 20:17:58 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 05, 2011 at 01:55:12PM -0500, Jonathan Wright wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Sep 2011 21:15:18 +0200 (CEST)
> Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:
>

> > Sounds like the UUID bug. Try evaluating UUID new. If it doesn't
> > crash, then you'll have to tell more about the VM you're using. If it
> > crashes, then upgrade your VM, newer VMs have a fix for this bug.
>
> I tried evaluating UUID new and it did crash.  I am using I think
> the latest, the 4.2 right off the squeak.org website.  Is there a newer
> version?  I am using the linux version.

The "UUID bug" is related to the Linux runtimes, and may or may not
appear depending on what version of OS you are running.

Try one of the standard Unix VMs at:

  http://squeakvm.org/unix/

or follow the links to Eliot's Cog VMs at:

  http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2489/

All of these newer VMs have adopted fixes that should prevent
the UUID bug from biting you.

Dave