[squeak-dev] Fork Proposal: Cuis & Killer Apps.

Overcomer Man overcomer.man at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 16:52:20 UTC 2011

I suggest a new fork or possibly a new orientation for the next Squeak
release:
Adopt Cuis as the core image and focus on killer applications to attract new
Smalltalk users.
Thousands of downloads are recorded on CNet for simple apps like a voice
recorder.
They could all be using and learning Smalltalk.  Same for many other
applications.
That would help make Smalltalk popular again.

Recently I found Squeak / Cuis contains many Sound classes.  So I wrote up
an email suggesting it to a community college teacher friend who had asked
for a sound recorder.  Imagine my embarrassment when I found the files
Squeak supports doesn't include .mp3.

Squeak has so much unfinished half starts at programs, why not adopt Juan's
work to flush the unnecessary, then get started on building a serious
applications team to build truly useful free code.

Another example, Roxio is a million dollar software company making a video
recorder app. which is not as good as an ordinary VCR and not supported
(they have a staff but try getting any real help).  Squeak could be
capturing a slice of that market and enticing users to learn Smalltalk!  And
source code can substitute for most support.

Another example, Solid Works is a 3D object drafting program that is simple
and gets many thousands of users away from AutoDesk.  Can Smalltalk deliver
most or all of that function with a FFI to openGL and some programming?
 Certianly!

Finally, the one complaint I've heard on the job about Smalltalk is it's
slow.  I recently added several thousand classes and find simply clicking on
the class in a browser is now slow to respond.  When end-users, not
programmers, can type at 80 words a minute and more in a C app. or they can
be limited to 30 wpm or less in a Smalltalk app. they demand C.  The new VM
was a good improvement, now try to solve the speed issues in the image.

Thanks,
Kirk Fraser