[CI] Let's get together. (was Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [CI] Security)

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 18:47:52 UTC 2011

Unfortunately, I have had almost no time to work on this. Unexpected family
related emergency put me on finding a job sooner than I thought I'd need
to.

If there's anyone here who wants to race me to continuous integration for
Squeak now, I will be glad to lose this race, as I really believe that this
is something we need sooner than later.

It would also be great to see folks collaborate on a solution; sadly, this
shouldn't be too hard, but I just don't have any time. Thus my general
absence from squeak-dev, etc.

There are a number of CI-related packages on squeaksource, have you looked
at any of these Hannes? I was investigating those when disaster struck. I
found at least four different CI-related packages. I would rather not
reinvent the wheel unless the wheel is quite broken, but I didn't get as far
as actually trying to use these packages.

Hannes, you do great work with regard to investigating various aspects of a
problem and summarizing them. Would you like to help me get this part done?

Most likely, and honestly, our best plan is probably to adapt the work that
various awesome people have already done.

This one is Igor's:

http://www.squeaksource.com/CISupport

This one belongs to Laurent Laffont:

http://www.squeaksource.com/ContIntegration

This one seems to be a collaboration between Yanni Chiu and Lukas Renggli;
we might pay extra attention to this one, because for some reason I think
it's what they're using for Pharo presently (though I may be wrong, don't
recall why I think this) which means it's been working in production use:

http://www.squeaksource.com/HudsonBuild

And last but not least, here's another one worth looking at, a la Andreas
Raab:

http://www.squeaksource.com/InT

My plan was to take a survey of these, contact the maintainers, weigh the
pros and cons, and report back to the list. If there was consensus around
one of them, I'd run with that, if there wasn't, I would reinvent the wheel.

Thanks for lighting a fire up under my ___, Hannes :D

Everyday life so often distracts from the things that really matter, like
Squeak!

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 2:00 AM, H. Hirzel <hannes.hirzel at gmail.com> wrote:

> Are there any news about setting up CI?
>
> --Hannes