[squeak-dev] Fork Proposal: Cuis & Killer Apps.

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Thu Sep 8 00:56:25 UTC 2011

Levente Uzonyi wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Sep 2011, Overcomer Man wrote:

> Cuis is nice, but lacks features that are important for those killer
> apps (e.g. internationalization).

That is not needed in a kernel image. It should be in an optional package.

> Also throwing aways years of work (3.8, 3.9, 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3) sounds
> like a bad idea.

Cuis is not Squeak 3.7. Nearly all the changes done in these years in
Squeak, that belong in a kernel image, have been integrated in Cuis. For
instance, I am the only guy who studied the migration of the image to
Closures format in enough detail to be able to update an image without
any help from Eliot. That's how seriously I take being updated to latest
Squeak. I have already integrated Squeak changes up to end of August
(i.e. a week ago). These will be in the next release of Cuis, and are
available for anyone who asks.

Besides, as you know, quite a bit of the changes done in Squeak in the
last couple of years actually came from Cuis.

> We should pick good stuff from Cuis (and Pharo) instead.
> To make the image smaller we should do two things (in parallel):
> - craving (make packages unloadable, remove dependencies, split packages)
> - building (use Spoon to rebuild the current image)

Growing back the image with Spoon is much easier if you already start
with a clean image, like Cuis. Same for loading packages back: half of
the work is already done.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich