[squeak-dev] [CI] Unloading a package programmatically?

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 11:33:40 UTC 2011

On 9 September 2011 12:23, Casey Ransberger <casey.obrien.r at gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay, so, here's what we're gonna do. Sort out how to unload it when there's
> more people awake:)
> It's seriously like six or seven classes in one category. There *must* be a
> way to do this using... Smalltalk.
> Frank: No, the idea is that you archive the image, and it becomes the next
> trunk image, so that I don't have to make them by hand anymore:) and then
> you also have a release image ready to rock when all the features are in and
> the tests are clean.

I guess we're talking about subtly different things: I'm looking at
the problem of "can I assemble an image that passes its tests?" and
you're looking at the problem of "the latest trunk image passes its
tests". But then isn't the right thing to do this?:
* get the latest trunk image
* run its tests (like from a starter script passed into the image on
the command line)
* report the results (which would require a TestRunner capable of
dumping Hudson-friendly XML, which is probably what the Hudson tooling
provides...)

Hm. But you COULD write a script that loads whatever build
infrastructure you need, couldn't you?:

Installer whereever
    install: 'The build tools'.

"Insert stuff causing the test runner to run and send its output to stdout"

It's not _quite_ what we want, since Hudson reports that the image
_plus_the_extra_bits_ passes its tests (or not, of course). Pretty
close, though.

frank