[squeak-dev] Porting JUnit's Theories to SUnit?

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 21:04:07 UTC 2011

On 12 July 2011 21:05, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11 July 2011 21:27, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 Jul 2011, Frank Shearar wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone looked into porting JUnit 4's Theories into SUnit? (NUnit
>>> also uses theories, in 2.5)
>>>
>>> In brief, a Theory is a test that takes a parameter. So what before might
>>> say
>>>
>>> testMyFooPrintsIntegersHomoiconically
>>>   -1 to: 1 do: [:i | self assert: i myFoo = i printString
>>>
>>> becomes
>>>
>>> testMyFooPrintsIntegersHomoiconically: anInteger
>>>   self assert: anInteger myFoo = anInteger printString description:
>>> 'Failure for integer ', anInteger printString
>>>
>>> You define a bunch of DataPoints, and then the runner runs that test
>>> for every data point. In JUnit data points are defined through
>>> constants with @DataPoint/@DataPoints annotations, but of course we
>>> can do them however we want. Further, theories can make assumptions,
>>> which are essentially pretest filters. For instance, in a TestCase
>>> dealing with real algebra, a test for square roots might say
>>>
>>> testSquareRootReturnsRoot: anInteger
>>>   self assumeThat: [anInteger > 0].
>>>   "Rest of test"
>>>
>>> and then the test would only run on positive data points.
>>>
>>> The essential idea is simply decoupling the test itself - the theory -
>>> from the data, so you don't have to roll your own looping construct
>>> when testing multiple data points.
>>
>> I usually roll my own loops and use a single test method for a gazillion
>> different cases. This style has the drawback that if you're not running the
>> tests yourself, then you won't know which "subcase" is failing. So I see
>> some value in Theories, if the test runner can tell which "subcase"
>> (datapoint) failed.
>>
>> AFAIK our version of SUnit is a modified version of SUnit 3 (which is not
>> the latest and greatest) and I miss some basic features of the test runner
>> (and the framework itself), so enhancing it is welcome. The features I miss
>> the most are:
>> - differentiate between timeouts and failures
>> - save the process for each failure/error (as a partial continuation?) and
>
> If only we had a library knocking around for this sort've thing! But
> seriously, with Ralph Boland's generator approach, it should be quite
> simple to
> - generate random data (possibly based on types, a la Haskell's QuickCheck)
> - run the parameterised test on that data
> - capture the continuations for failing tests giving decent error
> messages and resumable failing tests
>
>> resume that instead of re-running the test (which may pass on the second
>> run) when check the failing test
>> - measure the runtime of each individual test
>> - easily create a report of the results
>
> Yes, especially if they can be dumped in JUnit standard XML format.
>>

>> Levente
>>

>>> frank

http://www.lshift.net/blog/2011/09/13/checking-squeak-quickly

I cheated a bit: because I subclassed TestCase, one should be able to
use Pharo's SUnit extensions to print out JUnit XML.

I didn't implement a big generator combinator library: this is a
small, minimal implementation of theories. I expect to find lots of
things that could be improved, but it's not too bad (IMO at least) for
a few hours' hacking.

frank

frank