[squeak-dev] running for the board 2012

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 20:03:39 UTC 2012

I'd like to reiterate my interest in serving on the 2012 board.  Like
the other candidates, I have a strong interest in Squeak, its future
potential and the community.  I also have an interest and respect for
Squeak's *past*.  My interest in SqueakMap is as a "domain model" of
our community -- not just documenting our software packages, but the
community of people too.

I like to think about the community and its parts as a working system.
 I think members of the Squeak community like it to keep moving
forward, but at a stable pace they can reasonably keep up with.
Advancements that break backward-compatibility should be toward the
"quantum-leap" end of the spectrum rather than the "taste and
preference" end.  Make such breakages really _worth it_.  This is good
for present community and also the past so that some of the really
great, but abandoned, projects from the past can still be resurrected
in the future.

If re-elected, I also intend to propose a suggestion to the board:
That we incorporate **cleaning of the Inbox** as part of our release
process.  Maybe this will require a "Deferred" or some such repository
as proposed by Levente, but I think it's clear that the Inbox process
has stalled -- an incentive integrated into the process that ensures
non-trunk members will not feel like their contributions are being
ignored forever -- they will be at least evaluated beefore the next
release.

Göran, will you please put me on the ballot?

  - Chris Muller