[squeak-dev] Location-Aware Networks, Context and Business-Intelligence

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 16:56:46 UTC 2012

If anyone is interested in a story about Squeak being used in real
business today, the slides for my STIC 2012 talk are available on
STIC's website.

    http://www.stic.st/conferences/stic12/stic12-abstracts/location-aware-networks-context-and-business-intelligence/

It's an experience report about an upgrade to 4Dst's "Awareness
Engine" product, a Squeak-based telephone switching system which they
market.  In 2011, a GIS module plug-in was integrated into the
application to provide regional call routing capability to this
production system which has been running continuously since 2009.

What's not mentioned in the talk is that we simultaneously upgraded
the underlying Smalltalk platform from Squeak 3.9 to 4.2 (a
significant improvement).  Squeak's practical attitude about
backward-compatibility proved to be very business-friendly -- the
upgrade was completed rapidly and implemented into production without
issues.