[squeak-dev] Re: Jenkins update; shell scripting question

Yanni Chiu yanni at rogers.com
Thu Apr 26 20:31:12 UTC 2012

On 26/04/12 2:27 PM, Chris Cunnington wrote:

> ... Left on its own, Jenkins will shut things
> down after ~8 seconds. To do ~3000 tests in ~70 xml files takes ~90
> seconds.

I'm pretty sure that, left on its own, Jenkins will let the job run
until it exits by itself, and otherwise lets it run "forever".

The problem that the build.sh script is trying to address is to
terminate the squeak VM when it does NOT exit by itself. The script
terminates the squeak VM process, when it seems like it cannot handle
signals, or when a Debug.log file has appeared.

Before this build script change, the failing Hudson/Jenkins jobs would
never stop on their own. There was a plugin available for Hudson, which
would abort the job, if it exceeded a configurable time limit - which
was a poor solution.

> So I have two questions:
>
> 1.) Why would a process not be able to receive a signal?
> 2.) And if it couldn't, then what would that tell me.

1) There's probably lots of ways a process could stop handling signals.
2) If it couldn't, then it's a good guess that the build/test is stuck,
and should therefore be terminated.

Depending on which squeak VM you are using, you may have to change the
shell variable, $OUTPUT_DEBUG, to SqueakDebug.log instead of PharoDebug.log.