[squeak-dev] [Ann] Cuis 4.0 is released!

Juan Vuletich (mail lists) juanlists at jvuletich.org
Sat Apr 28 14:48:47 UTC 2012

Hi Karl,

Quoting karl ramberg <karlramberg at gmail.com>:

> Looks nice indeed.
> The rewrite of TextEditor looks quite impressive.

Thanks.

> I tested a bit but Cuis has a quite limited font selection ;-)
> How do I import more fonts to Cuis ?

We're working on it. We have some code that was used in a FreeType enabled image to export OS fonts. It will be published soon.

Thanks for this reports. The bugs are fixed. Download the latest changes from http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/CuisUpdates1261-1268.zip (accessible from the Cuis web page), and install them in order.

> [...]
> >
> >        = Sorts by last definition of selector (Methods recently saved go first),
> >        = Sorts appropriately all selectors matching entered prefix (no hardcoded limits, like 40 selectors matching 2 letters).
> >        = Restricts suggestions if receiver is Global, a Constant or a pseudo-variable.
> >        = Doesn't have an "expanded mode". Always shows relevant suggestions.
> >        = Not restricted to a set of previously selected packages. All the methods in the system are accounted for.
> >        = Very fast, thanks to an optimized Trie implementation.
> >        = Compact code. Relies on services by Trie (for storing and querying selectors) and Shout (for parsing incomplete methods).
> >        = Helps make Shout faster, by providing super fast queries of selector prefixes.
> >        = Can be used for other applications besides Smalltalk code. Currently used for an English glossary for StyledTextEditor.
> >
> >    - Trie. Cuis 4.- includes a very optimized implementation of a Trie. Tries are dictionaries where keys are Strings. Lookups are extremely fast. Search for entries matching a prefix are extremely fast (O(1) regardless of the size of the collection). Addition and removals are quite fast too. Used for UCompletion, holding 11,000 selectors. Also used for an English spell checker (in the StyledTextEditor project) holding 166,000 words. In both cases use of memory is quite reasonable (3 and 5.4 bytes per character in average) and query speed is extremely fast.
> >
> >    - Multiple level undo / redo in all text and code editors.
> >
> >    - ClickNHalf+Drag to select words. TripleClick or DoubleClickNHalf+Drag to select paragraphs. Like most modern text editors and wordprocessors do.
> >
> >    - Multiple text selection (with control+mouse). Like most modern text editors and wordprocessors do.
> >
> >    - Lf. The newline character is no longer Character cr (ASCII code 13), but Character lf (ASCII code 10). This is the standard in Mac and Unix platforms, and the required convention for GitHub. All the code in the image has been converted.
> >
> >    - cmd-w closes window below mouse pointer. cmd-< y cmd-> cycle through windows.
> >
> >    - New "PostIt" like HoverHelp morphs.
> >
> >    - Simplification / Redesign: Scrolling in Morphic (TransformMorph gone, etc).
> >
> >    - Deep cleanup in Paragraph and paragraph display services in Canvas and DisplayScanner (now MorphicScanner).
> >
> >    - MouseClickState refactor, to ease new gestures (ClickNHalf+Drag, DoubleClickNHalf+Drag, TripleClick).
> >
> >    - Killed AbstractEvent hierarchy. Unified event subscribing, triggering and handling everywhere in Cuis.
> >
> >    - More TextMorph cleanup.
> >
> >    - Numeric enhancements done by nice and jmv, both on Squeak and Cuis.
> >
> >    - Many minor enhancements, cleanups and bugfixes.
> >
> >    - Updates to Squeak: Numerics, Network, and many others.
> >
> > I hope you enjoy this release of Cuis as much as Bernhard and I enjoyed working on it. As usual, comments, discussion, bug reports, kudos and donations are all

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich