[squeak-dev] Changes file - how important?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Aug 1 16:29:28 UTC 2012

On 01.08.2012, at 06:24, Frank Shearar wrote:

> On 1 August 2012 14:14, Sean P. DeNigris <sean at clipperadams.com> wrote:
>>
>> Frank Shearar-3 wrote
>>>
>>> If the changes file were not necessary I
>>> could simply not keep it under version control.
>>>

>> Pharo uses wget to download things like the image/changes/sources [1] [2].
>
> Sure. But doing that right now means you use git to get a shell to
> download an artifact, which seems... a bit busy. Right now we can
> check out the CI environment in its entirety. I guess the current
> squeak-ci also helps with bandwidth usage, if that's an issue: you'll
> only download a new image once in a while. I don't know if that's a
> significant argument either way :)
>
> frank

IMHO the tests should be as close to real-world usage as possible. You don't need a changes file for running, but for developing you do. I think putting a hard git reset into the build script is the right way to deal with this. Alternatively it could copy the image+changes to a temp location and run from there.

- Bert -