[squeak-dev] Changes file - how important?

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 16:58:37 UTC 2012

On 1 August 2012 17:29, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

> On 01.08.2012, at 06:24, Frank Shearar wrote:
>
>> On 1 August 2012 14:14, Sean P. DeNigris <sean at clipperadams.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Frank Shearar-3 wrote

>>> Pharo uses wget to download things like the image/changes/sources [1] [2].
>>
>> Sure. But doing that right now means you use git to get a shell to
>> download an artifact, which seems... a bit busy. Right now we can
>> check out the CI environment in its entirety. I guess the current
>> squeak-ci also helps with bandwidth usage, if that's an issue: you'll
>> only download a new image once in a while. I don't know if that's a
>> significant argument either way :)
>>
>> frank
>

> IMHO the tests should be as close to real-world usage as possible. You don't need a changes file for running, but for developing you do. I think putting a hard git reset into the build script is the right way to deal with this. Alternatively it could copy the image+changes to a temp location and run from there.

The latter is the only feasible option of the two: Jenkins has very
particular ideas about things, and doing a hard reset in the build
script be too late.

I'm just waiting for Chris Cunnington to chown a few files and I'll
take another run at the problem.

Oh, and it occurs to me belatedly that I _do_ need the changes file...
for tests that check that, for instance, changes are actually stored
there. Not that we have any of those, but when we do...

frank