[squeak-dev] Pristine recent 4.4 image?

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 17:00:18 UTC 2012

On 3 August 2012 17:55, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 7:14 AM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, I believe that error is related to the GetText package.
>
>>> That must be a bug with that image. I just ran an update from a fresh Squeak
>>> 4.3 image and it got updated to the latest version in 2-3 minutes without
>>> hiccups.
>
> If that's really true, you should upload THAT exact image to the ftp
> server -- because I think our release images should just be updated
> code and not a lot of fiddling around in the image, leaving
> unintentional accumulated state.  For example, preferable not release
> an image in which the tests were run.

Yes, agreed. I must adjust the build a bit to do just that, actually.
But that's why I copy the image. Actually, to be precise: I should
take an image, update it, archive THAT image, run tests, and throw
away the has-run-test state.

> Frank, what I tried to do for the 4.2 release was _capture_ the
> release process by which the image was generated into a "one click"
> (doit) which would do all the final prep things before saving and
> exiting the final image which was used for the actual download.  It's
> ReleaseBuilderTrunk.  This, of course, was intended to be an evolving
> process so feel free to make changes.
>
>> I took the final release, changed its update to trunk, and got a
>> syntax error notification saying "Unmatched comment quote" during
>> update-b4.204.mcm. Same if I take the image from the all-in-one. I
>> don't see why VM version should matter but this is with Cog r2562. Ah.
>> No, it was the sources file that was a bit broken. Replacing with the
>> all-in-one's sources file I can update.
>
> Oh wow!  Great!  Hmm, I wonder how your sources file got corrupted?
> There's no updating of a .sources file except intentionally...

I got it from my dev environment, and I have seen many times strange
errors that I couldn't explain. I'm not surprised that it was
corrupted, even though I'm at a loss to explain how it got corrupted.

frank