[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Monticello-eem.512.mcz

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 14:52:32 UTC 2012

>> Eliot, is there some way to solve your issue without enumerating all
>> filenames of a repository?
>
> I'm out of my depth here.  Bert is the authority.  But I do know it is
> absolutely necessary to take account of the branch name.  Here's why:
>
> a) finding the head of a branch is extremely difficult if it is lumped in
> with the trunk.  For example in VMMaker the head of VMMaker is 284 while the
> head of VMMaker.oscog is 196.  So VMMaker.oscog is buried far down the list.
> This is sort-of sufferable by me, but not by newbies who likely won't find
> it.
>
> b) the "is the package modified" highlighting (emboldening and underlining)
> is entirely misleading if branches and trunks are lumped together.
>
> So please reconsider.  Monticello used to separate trunks and branches. The
> change that lumped them together make the system difficult to use for some
> packages (and I hope you agree VMMaker is kind of important).

I just want to understand better, not make anyone's life harder.  The
breakage can be "solved" by adding

   MCRepository>>allPackageAndBranchNames
       ^ self allPackageNames

but the reason I brought this up is because I put a lot of work into
getting MC's treatment of repository's cleaned up and under control so
that they all can work uniformly.  This change puts us back to
supporting only FileBased repositories, which are slow because they
can only do their work by enumerating all their files.

..I can't see that Monticello has ever had any notion of branches --
just its ancestry structure.  There's no "Branch" class of any kind
and no methods (other than the ones recently added).  Not even a
comment about it anywhere.

We already have at least 3 fields that make up a MCVersionName
(Package, author, version) and now this puts in a 4th.  It increases
complexity of the code and even adds a new Preference all just for
sorting items in one list widget -- this responsibility would seem
fall more on MCRepositoryInspector.

If there is no other way, fine, but currently it's mysterious and
breaks the system, so I thought I'd at least ask..

Thanks.